Vardlokkr for Ostara
My most recent composition, this Vardlokkr was written for the Holytide of Ostara/Eostre and premiered this previous Saturday.
The ensemble is as follows:
- Four instrumentalists, each strategically placed at north, south, east, and west.
- Three (3) singing bowls, representing the wells of Urdrbrunnr, Hvergelmir, and Mimisbrunnr, as well as the Norns (Urd, Verdandi, Skuld).
- One (1) drum, representing the vibrations of the world tree
- One (1) vocalist and one (1) narrator, stationed in the centre of the directions-focused ensemble, back-to-back.
- One (1) vocalist, representing Odin as the Wisdom-seeking Wanderer
- One (1) narrator, representing the Volva of the Voluspa
This particular Vardlokkr is very special to me. It was a proving ground for me, as well as my kindred who assisted me in the ceremony as the other parts of the ensemble. It was premiered before three kindreds, respected guests, Kari Tauring (One of three of Vinland’s volvas; a deeply experienced seid-worker, master of the volva stav, as well as someone whom I’m extremely honoured to call a something of a mentor/teacher of mine), and those who had not seen me perform before. It was performed after much self-growth, trials, and tribulations in my life, and it gave the new chapter in my life a grand soundtrack.
I hope you enjoy reading it, as much as I did writing it. :>