While both sides in this debate may have some points, it’s misleading to assert that both sides of the debate are equally rational. We should be glad that the vast majority of teenagers know that contraception is available, but at the same time try to understand why they’re not using it.
A CDC study release earlier this month gave some insight into the major reasons: 31% of teenage mothers didn’t know they could become pregnant at the time they had sex. I’m sorry, but anyone who demonizes easy access to birth control and abortions but at the same time pushes “abstinence-only” education, this statistic rests squarely on your shoulders.
The next largest bracket, 24%, stated that they didn’t use birth control because of pressure from their partner not to do so. We are failing our daughters if they believe that pleasing anyone is worth sacrificing their health, safety and future. The fact that we give a global stage to a man like Chris Brown, who not only beat a woman but failed to display, even once, a sense of true contrition for it, is not encouraging. It’s not exactly fair to compare more liberal states to conservative states in this regard, as many women from conservative states travel to neighboring ones for abortion.
A more apt comparison would be to Europe, which has easy access to birth control, is vastly more sexually liberal, and yet has a drastically lower abortion rate. I wonder why that is?—
This commenter is allowed to have opinions.
Knowledge is power.
No, seriously. I’m not even trying to be cute.
Making contraception available, but not teaching kids how to use it and then expecting them not to get pregnant? It’s like breaking the shit out of someone’s car, setting them loose in an auto mechanic garage and expecting the car to come out good as new.
- wanderwillow reblogged this from nomadicfille
- onekarptwokarpredkarpbluekarp reblogged this from pointyteeth
- pointyteeth reblogged this from feminismpictureproject2012
- t-bearsmooth reblogged this from ellielamothe
- fuckhategetlove reblogged this from ellielamothe
- ellielamothe reblogged this from pro-choiceproblems
- brassmiranda reblogged this from step-up-today
- step-up-today reblogged this from pro-choiceproblems
- semanthics likes this
- novashadows reblogged this from runicbasso
- mariahgem likes this
- feminist-ramblings reblogged this from feminismpictureproject2012
- silverspiral reblogged this from sakuratsukikage
- silverspiral likes this
- anonymouscatastrophe likes this
- littleclaypot likes this
- sakuratsukikage reblogged this from anonymouscatastrophe
- sakuratsukikage likes this
- sesca likes this
- soundundertone likes this
- soundundertone reblogged this from bilbochan
- vivalavanitylove reblogged this from jesssdrew
- dragonskales reblogged this from anonymouscatastrophe
- anonymouscatastrophe reblogged this from bilbochan
- firenationprince reblogged this from creamsiclesquid
- creamsiclesquid reblogged this from bilbochan
- toasterfish likes this
- bilbochan reblogged this from theskypilot
- bilbochan likes this
- reptia-lamia reblogged this from crevan-grietje
- akumuhana likes this
- theskypilot reblogged this from tooraloora
- manicscribble likes this
- stumppy likes this
- vulcanoes likes this
- fishfacedterror reblogged this from tooraloora
- welcometoinnsmouth likes this
- crevan-grietje reblogged this from tooraloora
- crevan-grietje likes this
- pfefferihipstersparkles likes this
- runicbasso reblogged this from tooraloora
- runicbasso likes this
- tooraloora reblogged this from magical-truthsaying-bastard
- mousygirlscreamsviolence reblogged this from schala
- z-payne reblogged this from tomlinsleds
- tomlinsleds reblogged this from schala
- dashdotdashbackslash reblogged this from seriouslyamerica